Lots has been said about the upcoming changes to drone mineral drops and removal of Meta 0 drops over recent weeks.
In response, Kirith Kodachi over at Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah wrote a post predicting the return of hardcore mining Corporations. The prolific Jester has added his thoughts in his post System Shock.
From my experience, the Corporations Kirith predicts are already happily mining away, I just guess the increased profitability of mining will increase recruitment and spawn further Corporations eager to sit with three blue lazors shooting rocks and dragging icons from one window to another to fill an Orca.
The K162 space blog illustrates the talent and innovation that exists within the Eve community. His work on his wallet manager app, and the good looking screenshots, demonstrate how serious some Corps take things.
For our Corp, we’re very fortunate to have a talented programmer working on making everybody’s life easier. As an industrial Corp, we have miners and ratters, and also people collecting Planet Goo. Previously, contracts were turned in for Ore and accepted, kept on a spreadsheet and payouts done. To improve things, it evolved to loot logs being exported and him then parsing it via Excel to generate a payout report. He’s improved things somewhat.
He’s now developed a system that imports the contracts and loot log information and, with pricing information updated from Eve Central’s API, it automatically generates the payout report (and various other reports and more importantly for me, graphs) on a website, which I can copy and paste the figures from and do the payouts. I can even click “complete” to reset the payout counter and then allow week by week comparison reports to be looked at.
We’re doing this. K162 is doing what he’s doing. There are other systems out there like Mining Buddy. How many other developers are there in various Corporations developing similar things?
The infrastructure is already either there, or being built. With the profitability starting to reach levels where more people might consider the benefits of being able to earn ISK while doing other in-game activities, this sort of thing will hopefully continue to develop and make the organised industry Corps much better at what they do.
Let’s face it, if you believe some of the graphs and data out there, around 40% of all the mineral supply in Eve is due to reprocessing Meta 0 items from missions/rats and reprocessing drone compounds. 40% is a big number. Yesterday, we had a mini-mining op with two Orcas and 5 Hulks (one Orca as static warehouse giving bonuses, one Orca to shuttle ore to store). If we represented the 60%, we’d need to increase from 5 Hulks to just over 8 Hulks to provide the other 40% of minerals.
So, as a supermarket giant in the UK says, for all these tools that talented community programmers are developing, “every little helps” with what will be a difficult task to keep New Eden supplied with sufficient ships and modules to come and AFK camp our system to stop us mining, or to Black Ops hot drop us to destroy our mining fleet. Oh wait… what?
Keep destroying our Hulks, I’ll just build more. I’ll also build more ships for you to asplode us with, but I’ll have to just charge you a bit more as mineral inflation is quite bad at the moment, and I’ve got to cover my losses so need to eek out a bit more profit. Never mind, you seem honest enough, I’ll give you a small discount for repeat business
If CCP is making such wide reaching changes to industry in an expansion supposedly solely centered around war, I am filled with both dread and excitement to see what they might come up with when they (as they promised at FanFest they are going to do) start giving out details of the industry expansions for the future (or harvesting and crafting as our activities are going to be reclassified to so that the rest of the MMO world can understand us).