Welcome to the twenty-fifth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to email@example.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from @Tetraetc – “Tetra’s EVE Blog” – who asks: “Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? Imagine a Null Sec where anyone could build outposts wherever. Would the reduction of the alliance game mechanic, and the removal of the sovereignty game mechanics (or the modifcation of it from Alliance level to Corp level for that matter) force more PVP into Null sec, or would giant power blocs like the NC still form themselves?”
As somebody who has just left null sec and returned to empire, I decided to pause and reflect on this, reading other people’s posts before finishing formulating my own opinion. There are some really interesting comments, and I recommend that you read through the other blog banter responses I’ve linked at the bottom.
I think the real question here is one of social interraction. In Eve you can choose to play on your own, you can be a miner eating rocks in your hulk (or in my case a retriever still), you could refine that ore and make stuff to sell on the market and that could be you. On the other hand you could board a combat fitted cruiser and try to rid the universe of the Sansha/Guristas/insert pirate faction here and just run missions on your own. You could be a pirate or PvP fanatic and roam the (apparently) vast empty spaces of low sec looking for that perfect 1v1 fight.
However, I believe (and in all cases am more than happy to be corrected when wrong) that Eve is more of a social experience. We’ve probably all seen the butterfly effect trailer – look at the video links on my blog page if you haven’t. Essentially most Eve players interact, whether it’s in an NPC Corp or a player run Corp. Lots of those Corps then form Alliances and quite a few are then based in null sec.
Do I think some things with the Sov mechanics aren’t quite right, well yes I do, but then there’s lots of things in Eve that “aren’t right” for different player groups. One of the biggest things is probably that the Corp management interface needs to be
fixed re-written and many things to do with Sov should be properly handled in a revamped Alliance interface.
Although I left null for various reasons, I do intend to return to null at some point in the future, athough this will be after I experience wormhole life, but neither of these will be anytime soon. I actually quite liked null sec in lots of ways. There was plenty of PvP if you wanted it. As part of the NC, my Alliance was close to the front line and so we had the potential for lots of action, of which I’m now regretful that I didn’t get more involved in while I was there. One thing is for sure, I do recommend that all pilots “try” null sec at some point as you meet some really great people and learn so much, even if you’re only there for a short time.
Now, to the actual mechanics. Holding Sov is an expensive business. And as it is so expensive, to be perfectly honest I can see why it needs to be a grind to take Sov from somebody else. The cost of upgrading systems and so on should be something that takes a concerted effort to take. Because of this cost, entities like the NC form and work together. But, they only work together, they are not one Alliance. If you took away some of the Sov mechanics, would the NC break up? No, I don’t think that they would.
Note – I’m not picking on them for any particular reason other than that I’m familiar with them having been part of the NC.
OK large parts of null space are empty, simply used as a route to get from A to B, but these systems still cost, and losing one would still matter. The real issue for me would be if you removed some of the Sov mechanics, you’d also seriously need to nerf Super Carriers, and that’s another debate entirely. I can’t fly one and have only ever fought one so I cannot comment on this subject.
This post may be jumping around a bit, but maybe if I sum it all up it will make sense:
- I’ve lived in 0.0 and had some good times and some bad times
- PvP is NOT difficult to find in 0.0 if you want, both large blob warfare and smaller gang, even 1v1, you just need to go look for it
- Removing some Sov mechanics and allowing lots of stations would make null more like low sec with bubbes IMHO
- Yes, there are lots of things that could be fixed, but the main fix appears to be doing something with Supercaps, and if you limit numbers per Alliance, you”ll just get people adapting by forming smaller Alliances so that won’t work
I was there in M3 when we hit 3,200 players in one fight – the lag was, well you can probably imagine and there’s enough reports you can read. If CCP made it so you could have 5,000 players in a system and fight, then that would happen.
I think that where we are now, without some epic sudden change, which I think CCP have worked out by now is far too dangerous a thing to try, powerblocks will always form. Some will last, most if not all will fall. Look at IT – I personally really enjoy Perseus Kallistratos’s blog Aggressive Tendencies and have a huge amount of respect for what he has tried to do during the last few months within IT. He’s somebody I’d love to take my FIST fit Zealot out with (subject to him getting me to change the fit accordingly to his fleet composition requirements ofc) and see how it’s done. The lesson I take from this all is that Eve is basically a game. People join, people leave, people change direction, people take a break to play new games and so on. Power changes and shifts in null sec, and will continue to do so.
When I return to 0.0 will I be looking forward to attending my first 2 hour pos bash or station lockdown? Maybe not completely, but then that’s part of the game and that will be my contribution to the particular part of Eve society I’ve decided to try and be a part of, so I’ll do it. When all is said and done, that creepy noise and the note flashing up on screen telling you “x has claimed sovereignty in y for your alliance” still gave me a buzz every time, and when I saw Sov was under threat I wanted to do something about it.
There are probably a whole host of other things to fix first before CCP starts to “fix” this. For starters – make BPC’s a different colour to BPO’s please!!!!!
- CrazyKinux’s Musing: EVE Blog Banter #25: And by Alliance you mean…..?
- BB25 What sov changes will come? | A Mule In EvE
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: Alliances and Sovereignty
- Blog Banter 25: Nerfing Nulsec « OMG! You’re a Chick?!
- Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? | Nitpickin’s
- Blog Banter #25: Alliance and Sovereignty Limiting PvP in 0.0? | Sarnel Binora’s Blog
- Blog Banter #25 – Mad Haberdashers
- Alliances and sovereignty | Eve Online Focus
- …Shall we not Revenge?: BB 25: What if the Alliance vanished?
- Blog Banter: Alliances and Sov
- EVEOGANDA: BB25: Sov ‘n Go!
- » TBG:EBB#25 – Alliances and Sovereignty To Boldly Go
- Freebooted: BB25: Leviathans of the Deep
- Wrong Game Tetra ~ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- EVE Blog Banter #25 – Human nature what art thou? | Way of the Gun
- Who cares about Sov? – Hands Off, My Loots! ~ well sorta like an entry! :p
- The 25th EVE Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty – The Phoenix Diaries
- Achernar: The space commute
- Wandering the Void…my EvE musings. – Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #25: How To Break EvE. « Prano’s Journey
- Captain Serenity: Blog Banter #25 – Crappy mechanics
- Helicity Boson » Blog Banter #25 Nullsec and sov.
- BB #25 – “With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth?”
- Boom! Hull-Shot?: It’s the End of the Eve as We Know It
- sered’s lives: EVE Blog Banter #25 – Size does matter
- 25th EVE BB – Medieval Solutions to Spaceship Problems | Inventions of a New Eden Industrialist
- Eve Blog Banter #25: “Have Alliances and Sov Limited PvP and RP in 0.0?” « Align Outbound
- Banter 25: Sovereignty, Alliances and Power Blocs | TheElitist
- Blog Banter 25 – But I just left all that! « A Scientist’s Life in Eve
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- >>>Vigil Ant: Alliances and SOV by Munny’s eyes.
- Latro’s Bunker: Blog Banter 25 -Nullsec and Sov
- A “CareBears” Journey » Blog Banner #25: Alliances and Sovereignty, and their affect on PVP and RP
- Blog Banter #25 – Unstoppable « Roc’s Ramblings
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- EVE Blog Banter on PVP in Null Sec « Evehermit’s Blog
- Sleepless in Space: Blog Banter #25: Moar Low Sec!
- More to come…